DISTRESSING & WAXING AS CHALK PAINT

 
 
 
Yesterday I shared how I used Gilders Paste to refinish these drawer handles,
today I'll share how I refinished the drawers.

 
I filled the original hardware holes and painted the drawers in Annie Sloan Old White.
Now I had to re-drill new holes in a new spot for the new handles.
 
 
I used a 120 grit sandpaper to get a heavy distressing, but I always sand in the direction of the wood grain.

 
I sanded the entire surface to get it smooth but concentrate on all the edges.

 
 
The places that start to thin out when I'm sanding are other areas to watch for, usually there is a high
 spot or blemish that has caught the sand paper. I always highlight these flaws when shabby chicing.
The computer is putting a red line under chicing so I assume it's not an accurate spelling ...
but you get my meaning!
 

 
I also sanded heavier around the hardware holes. It smooth's out any burs left from the drill
and there is always going to be natural wear in these areas.


 
After all the dust was vacuumed away it was time to wax. I work in small sections when waxing.
 
 
I used AS clear Wax and a flat chip brush to apply the wax.
 
 
 
For the rest of the process I used paper towel, to remove the excess wax (as seen above)
 
 and to buff the wax, but when I buff I grab a new clean piece of paper towel (as seen below)


There is no wait time for me when I wax. I apply the wax and I remove the excess right away,
then I buff. The whole process takes minutes. I DO NOT wait 30 minutes or 24 hours.

 
Once the buffing was finished I insert the handles and screw them in from inside the drawer.



 
NOTE:
 
There are many different ways to achieve similar results. I hope I always inspire or help
you to create something special in your projects and I hope you will be brave and experiment
on your own to find different ways and technics that work for you.
 
 
 


Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware