VENEER - edge gluing with gravity


Here's the start of the much anticipated VENEER series.
I have many tricks for dealing with veneer issues before painting furniture.

With vintage furniture, veneer refers to thin slices of quality wood, usually
thinner than 1/8 inch, that are glued onto panels of a lesser grade woods.
Veneering is an ancient art, dating back to the Egyptians who
used veneers on their furniture and sarcophagi.



The first step in any DIY veneer repair is to establish how bad the damage is
and what route to take. I will go over edge gluing this time and eventually
share how to glue bubbles, fill missing areas, and the dreaded removal of veneer.
It is actually very simple but you'll just have to wait and see.


Many pieces of vintage veneered furniture have some edge lifting,
usually along the bottom.


It's a simple matter of using wood glue to secure the veneer back into place
and using masking tape to hold it down while it dries.


Use gravity!
Turn your piece of furniture over to get the glue run down in behind the lifting veneer.


I use a wet sponge to clean up any access glue before taping the edges.
Lay your tape on the veneered surface first and pull it tight over the edge.


Your drying time will vary with climate and temperture,
but a decent wait time would be 4 hours under normal circumstances.

Now go forth and Do it Yourself!

****************************************
LAST BUT NOT LEAST ....
Here is a quick look at some of the new hardware available in the Etsy Shop .

There are 1000's of pieces of up-cycled hardware to choose from at 
firstfinds hardware store

  
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/511729001/6-handles-shabby-chic-swirling-white

  
        
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Firstfinds?ref=hdr_shop_menu&search_query=misfit+knobs


  
  
https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/496024614/4-ornate-drop-pulls-with-backplates


Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. Veneer can be such a nightmare! A piece has to be very special for me to take it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been afraid to buy a piece that had damaged veneer. Now that I see how to fix it, I would consider it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for the part on fixing bubbles and missing pieces. I have a very old oak filing cabinet that has veneer near the bottom with some ancient water damage. Maybe with your tutorial I will be able to repair the damage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we were removing veneer from a certain bar project to discover nice oak underneath I wondered why on earth they covered it up to begin with.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anxiously awaiting the "how to remove veneer" post. I've stripped the veneer off of half a dining room table, but the other half is REALLY super stuck on. Hope you have a solution!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I have a few pieces with this issue, I love your blog and all your information that you share with us. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interested in every aspect of this series. I just purchased an interesting piece that has some veneer issues. Trying to decide whether to removed the veneer or save it. It has layers of veneer that are peeling & other small spots that are missing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took a shop class once and the way I was taught to glue veneer is after gluing, lay several layers of paper towel down, place a board over the paper towels, clamp. When it is dry, remove the clamps and board and if any of the paper towel sticks, it can just be sanded off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kristy,

    Just wanted to let you know that I shared your 'Veneer' series on my blog www.faygraysonhome.blogspot.com. Thanks for the great tips and for the constant inspiration! Your projects are so fantastically creative - I'm always impressed!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU ALL!