HOW TO UPHOLSTER AN OPEN CHAIR BACK - step one




I've received many requests asking for this next tutorial on how I upholstered these open  back chairs. This project has been divided into two parts, this article is part one.





BEFORE


I am going to start at the point after all the stripping
and after the frame is already refinished.


I use a hand held, arm powered stapler with 1/4" staples.
I do have an electric stapler but because of the safety
feature it will not work with the tight ledge of this chair.



Here is a close up of the frame profile.
You can even see where the old staples were.



I started by shooting 3 staple in the top edge
to securing your fabric.



I had to figure out the best angle for my stapler
to be used with this chair.



Here is a close up of where the staples 
are actually going into the frame.
*******************************************




The next place I attached my fabric was directly opposite
of my first three staples, down on the bottom edge.



Then across from each other.



I held my fabric taught each time I shot every staple in.



Once I had those 4 points of contact, I simply went around attaching your fabric with staples ever inch,
continuing to pull the fabric taught.



Once I finished stapling, I trim the fabric to 1/2 inch excess, I 
used small scissors cause they are easier to work with in close corners.



I chose to do this project on my bed because it is a large soft
 surface. I made sure to turn my chair often so everything I 
was doing was comfortable for my hands. 



The overhang of fabric simply folds in and is hidden inside.



You can bounce a coin off the fabric like a drum if done well.




You can continue with Step Two here:


 INSTAGRAM @4_the_love_of_wood



*******************************************
FIRSTFINDS HARDWARE STORE
vintage hardware 


image 0 image 0 image 0

*************************************

Pin It Now!

Email your Questions or Comments

Name

Email *

Message *

POPULAR ARTICLES

Your first stop for vintage hardware